The institution remains in strict lockdown level 3 mode, students (including prospective first-year students and their guardians) are urged not to travel to campuses for face-to-face assistance from staff. For more information click here

For more information   Click here >>>

Study permits

Before leaving home you must make sure that you have a valid CPUT study permit for entry into South Africa. Study permits are issued for specific academic institutions. If you would like to change institutions, you must obtain a new study permit. Also note that permits are limited to a specific period of time and you may have to renew your permit during your period of study.

Please make sure that you renew your permit one month before the expiry date to avoid penalties from the department of Home Affairs.

Applying for a study permit

You must apply for your study permit at the South African High Commission, Embassy, Consulate or Trade Mission in your country of origin. If there is no South African representative in your country, your application should be directed to the Commission, Embassy, Consulate or Trade Mission in the country nearest to your home country

You will need:

  • an application form
  • a valid passport
  • a letter of provisional admission and a letter of undertaking from CPUT
  • a medical certificate
  • proof of medical cover that will be valid in South Africa or details of arrangements made with regard to medical cover or insurance to be obtained on arrival
  • a repatriation guarantee
  • a study permit fee
  • medical aid cover or insurance
  • confirmation letter from your medical aid that you will be covered while in SA.

You are also advised to submit an application for a multiple entry visa. Please note that you might be required to pay a fee for a re-entry.

Renewing a study permit

It is your responsibility to make sure that you renew your study permit in good time at least 30 days before expiry. However, special arrangements are made for renewal to take place on campus once a year. You will be told about the dates for renewal.

Your renewal application should include the following:

  • completed application form
  • valid passport
  • letter of registration from the Cape Peninsula University of Technology/ academic record
  • proof that a repatriation guarantee was submitted at the SA Consulate/ High Commission or Department of Home Affairs
  • if under 21 years of age, letter of appointed person as your guardian in RSA
  • if over 23 years of age, a police clearance may be required
  • study permit fee.

NB: Home Affairs/ Immigration Officials have made it mandatory that you ensure that you have sufficient blank pages in your passport for stamping when necessary.