CPUT’s Virtual Open Day is now open! Click here to visit >>>

Thursday, 19 January 2017

Do you need to finance your studies?

Students who need to fund their studies partially or in full have a number of options available to them.

CPUT Merit scholarship

CPUT offers merit scholarships to first-year students who achieved an overall matric pass of 75%. The scholarship covers a year's worth of tuition fees.

Find out more about Merit scholarships, here: http://www.cput.ac.za/study/funding/undergraduate/cput


The National Student Financial Aid Scheme, or NSFAS, is a government organisation that assists academically competent and financially needy students to pay their study-related costs.

Students entering university for the first time in 2017, including 2016 matriculates, must apply from 9-20 January 2017.

University student who were not funded (declined/ did not apply) by NSFAS in 2016, can apply for funding from 9-20 January 2017.

For more information, and to apply, visit: www.nsfas.org.za

DHET fee adjustment grant

Government will pay the fee increase capped at 8% for all qualifying registered students with a gross combined family income up to R600 000 per annum in 2017. This is a grant and will not have to be repaid by qualifying students. The grant will only cover tuition fees and accommodation provided by universities.

Find out more about the DHET grant, here: http://www.cput.ac.za/study/funding/undergraduate/dhet-fee-adjustment-grant

External bursary opportunities

External bursaries and scholarships are offered by off-campus organisations such as companies, NGOs, government departments, and SETAs. Students must apply to these organisations directly.

Opportunities on offer are listed here: http://www.cput.ac.za/study/funding/undergraduate/bursaries/opportunities


For more information on Merit scholarships, NSFAS, the DHET fee adjustment grant, external bursary opportunities, and other undergraduate funding matters, visit the Financial Aid Office:

Webpage: http://www.cput.ac.za/study/funding/undergraduate


  • Bellville Campus: Ground Floor, Library Extension
  • Cape Town Campus: Administration Building, Floor 5
  • Wellington Campus: Administration Building, Room A19
  • Mowbray Campus: Barkley Davis Building, Room 0.23


A wide variety of financial institutions offer study loans to students to pay for their studies.

Institutions that offer loans include banks, as well as Eduloan.

Postgraduate funding

Postgraduate students at CPUT are exceptionally well supported by a wide range of bursaries funded by external organisations and by the University.

Funding opportunities are advertised at http://www.cput.ac.za/research/postgraduate/funding

Postgraduate students can also get in contact with the Centre for Postgraduate Studies:

Phone: +27 21 953 8600
E-mail:   cpgs@cput.ac.za


  • New Library Building, Bellville Campus
  • CCE Building, Cape Town Campus

Caro Wiese Award

The Caro Wiese awards is offered annually to two CPUT students (1 female and 1 male) who have succeeded in overcoming extremely difficult circumstances to realize their full academic potential.

Find out more about this award and how to apply for it, here: http://www.cput.ac.za/study/funding/caro-wiese-award

Student jobs

The Student Jobs web page advertises positions specifically for CPUT students. New jobs are loaded regularly.

Visit the Student Jobs page here: http://www.cput.ac.za/blogs/jobs/

Written by CPUT News

Email: news@cput.ac.za