The purpose of this qualification is to prepare a learner to operate as a Career Development Information Officer.
A Career Development Information Officer provides individuals and groups with information about career choices and how to access their career paths that will empower them to make informed career related decisions.
A qualified learner will be able to:
• Provide career development information to individual clients so as to empower them to make informed career development decisions.
• Provide career development information to groups so as to empower group members to make informed career development decisions.
• Maintain administrative and networking functions to ensure efficient and effective career development information services.
As stated in the Framework for Cooperation in the provision of Career Development (Information, Advice and Guidance) Services in South Africa, dated October 2012, the development of a skilled and capable workforce to support an inclusive growth path is an accepted national priority.
This qualification is presented in support of the framework, especially with reference to the stated need for the establishment of standards of competence for persons delivering career development related services.
As no formal registered qualification or competency standards exist for persons delivering Career Development Information Services in South Africa, this qualification seeks to address this.
A large number of persons will have to be trained to meet the national demand for Career Development Information Officers. The immediate demand is estimated at some 10 000 beneficiaries from government institutions such as schools, relevant government departments and educational institutions. This qualification will also serve the needs of Non-Governmental Organisations and private initiatives that provide career development information services to their clients.
The qualification is made up of compulsory Knowledge Modules (Theory), Practical Modules and Work Place Modules as follows:
• KM-01, Introduction to Career Development Practice and Concepts, NQF Level 4, 8 Credits.
• KM-02, Applied Communication Concepts, NQF Level 4, 16 Credits.
• KM-03, National Structures, Laws and Policies, NQF Level 4, 4 Credits.
• KM-04, Career Development Theory and Concepts, NQF Level 5, 16 Credits.
• KM-05, Careers and Study Options, NQF Level 5, 8 Credits.
Total number of credits for Theory/Knowledge Modules: 52 Credits.
Practical Skills Modules:
• PM-01, Provide assistance to clients to enable them to make informed career-related decisions, NQF Level 5, 12 Credits.
• PM-02, Facilitate information sharing processes with groups that will assist with career-related decisions, NQF Level 5, 12 Credits.
• PM-03, Maintain an efficient and effective career information service, NQF Level 4, 8 Credits.
Total number of credits for Practical Skill Modules: 32 Credits.
This qualification also requires the following Work Experience Modules:
• WM-01, Individual career development information sharing processes, NQF Level 5, 13 Credits.
• WM-02, Group career development information sharing events, NQF Level 5, 13 Credits.
• WM-03, Maintenance of efficient and effective career information services, NQF Level 5, 10 Credits.
Total number of credits for Work Experience Modules: 36 Credits.
Certificate will be issued by the Quality Council for Trades and Occupations on successful completion of External Integrated Summative Assessment
Recommend or share this course on:
Important dates and times
Remember to apply and register on time.
Application Deadline: 2022-01-31
Course offered at:Online
Course lasts for: 1 year
Class times are: Wednesday 6 - 8PM
Note about class dates: Please note the course will commence with minimum of 15 students.
NQF Level 5
I met beautiful people, learn about other cultures. Learning English at CPUT was such a great experience that I will never ever forget. Those who want to learn English in Cape while having fun, CPUT is here for you. I am sure you will not regret it at all.
I chose the short course at CPUT, because I am a mom of a two year old. Doing a correspondance course just wouldn’t work for me. CPUT offers evening classes, which enabled me to attend classes for 6 months. I absolutely enjoyed attending the classes, I also learnt a lot and made friends within the similar fields and with similar interest. Thank you CPUT and the SCM team.
Catherine Andreka, Barloworld Logistics FM&S in Cape Town