- Grade 12 or equivalent - NQF 4
- Written and verbal proficiency in English
- An achievement rating of at least 4 and ratings of English 4-5, and Mathematics 2 or Maths Literacy 4
- Applicant may attach documents of other learning i.e. short courses, development workshops, cultural and professional advancement programmes, etc.
Student should be computer literate and have access to the Internet in order to access readings, case-studies and resources.
The course offers foundational public relations and communication skills necessary for those wanting to undertake a career in business, communication and corporate/commercial affairs. The short course is ideal for embarking on professional advancement if prior experience is not in public relations or its associated communication fields. Persons interested in career opportunities within the internal communication, consultancy, media, publicity, publishing, advertising, corporate identity, brand promotions and events industries should attend.
The course is offered as contact sessions and will include both theoretical and practical application. Course notes and the prescribed textbook are requirements for the course.
Botha, D., et al. 2007. Fresh Perspectives: Public Relations. Pearson Publishers: South Africa
Skinner,C. et al. 2014. Handbook of Public Relations. Oxford Publishers: South Africa
The course is continuous evaluation, which includes in class assessments, an integrated project and summative test. A certificate will be given to all students who has passed the course.
• Understanding of brand identification and corporate image
• Preparing a PR Programme and Plans to communicate or achieve specific objectives
• Understanding the nature of Public Relations and the Public Relations Profession
• Historical perspectives
• Ethics, personal and organisational responsibility and accountability
• Objectivity and the importance of research in Public Relations
• Apply models and theoretical underpinnings of the public relations discipline
• Understanding of stakeholder engagement and the importance of segmentation
• Apply basic Public Relations activities and techniques
• Understanding the importance of internal and external communication tools
Minimum of 10 and maximum of 20 students
Room 2.29, Roeland Street Building Cape Town
Recommend or share this course on:
Important dates and times
Remember to apply and register on time.
Application Deadline: 2021-06-25
Course offered at:Cape Town - Roeland Street Building
Course lasts for: 16 weeks
Class times are: 17:15 - 20:15
Note about class dates: The course takes place once a week, every Wednesday from 17:15 - 20:15.
Commencement date : 02 July 2021
I met beautiful people, learn about other cultures. Learning English at CPUT was such a great experience that I will never ever forget. Those who want to learn English in Cape while having fun, CPUT is here for you. I am sure you will not regret it at all.
I chose the short course at CPUT, because I am a mom of a two year old. Doing a correspondance course just wouldn’t work for me. CPUT offers evening classes, which enabled me to attend classes for 6 months. I absolutely enjoyed attending the classes, I also learnt a lot and made friends within the similar fields and with similar interest. Thank you CPUT and the SCM team.
Catherine Andreka, Barloworld Logistics FM&S in Cape Town