Marketing and community outreach
The Disability Unit uses the following as marketing tools and to promote disability awareness:
- Orientation programmes for first year students.
- Sport activities and information sessions to promote inclusion of students with disabilities in the wider university community.
- Brochures and pamphlets.
- Articles in Newsflash.
- Disability awareness weeks, which include cultural activities, talks by motivational speakers and specialists on disability issues, etc.
- Casual Day: An informal annual event to promote disability awareness.
- Presentation of an exhibition stall on Open Day.
- Information sessions to prospective students at schools (and to people with disabilities in the community) on disability issues and the support services offered by CPUT.
- Development of networks and partnerships with external stakeholders, for example, short courses on recruitment and retaining of employees with disabilities.
- Support of outreach activities, for example concerts, that involve students with disabilities in the community.