CIET offers a range of informal and formal staff development activities including:
- Blackboard training
- CIET Teaching and Learning with Technology Seminar series
- CPUT Teaching and Learning with Technology day
- CIET short course on blended learning design
- CHEC short course on “Design for learning with technologies”
- Customised training for departments and Faculties
CIET provides regular scheduled or informal personalised workshops for CPUT academics and researchers in the effective use of the online learner management system (LMS). Our instructional designers and educational technologists present the workshops. They are internationally certified Blackboard trainers with previous higher education teaching experience. Workshops typically include basic, intermediate and advanced training in the use of Blackboard Learn, as well as sessions dedicated to online assessment. Staff members are encouraged to attend all four sessions to ensure optimal use of the LMS for teaching and learning activities. Certificates are issued on completion of course and proof of practical implementation.
Workshops are arranged on request to suit individual lecturers and researchers, or a specific department. In addition, there are scheduled workshops throughout the year. Hands-on training takes place in state-of-the-art facilities.
The series of workshops include:
- an introduction to e-learning based on pedagogical principles
- content delivery and scheduling through the creation of among others, learning modules and subject guides
- the use of several social media tools to enhance teaching and learning
- various modes of online communication via the LMS
- setting up and marking assessments and evaluations
- creating discussions forums and group collaboration sessions
- setting up rubrics to communicate clear expectations to students
- linking assessments and group work to a central grade centre
- providing direct meaningful online feedback to students
- setting up early warning systems to identify students at risk to enable lecturers to implement remedial or supplementary interventions.
For more information contact Marilyn Eckhardt on email@example.com
Teaching and Learning with Technologies seminar series
CIET offers a range of seminars and workshops on specific technologies and their affordances to support teaching and learning. Seminars usually take place on Thursday from 13.30-15.30 either in the Centre for eLearning on the Cape Town campus or in the IT Centre in Bellville. For more information visit our blog and Facebook page. Recordings of these sessions are made available on our YouTube channel.
CPUT Teaching and Learning with Technology Day
CIET organises a yearly event where CPUT staff present and share innovative practices of using technologies in teaching and learning. For more information see our blog.
CIET short course “Blended Learning Design”
CIET is going to offer a short course for CPUT staff from 2017. More information will be shared soon.
CHEC short course “Design for learning with technologies”
CIET staff are co-facilitating the CHEC blended learning course on “Design for learning with technologies”, which runs yearly over the course of 6 weeks. For more information visit http://www.chec.ac.za/files/CHEC%20QTHE%20COURSES%202016%20final.pdf
Customised training for Departments/ Faculties
We also offer customised training for departments and Faculties based on their training needs. For more information contact Dr Daniela Gachago, firstname.lastname@example.org.