Students in Civic Engagement Programme (SICEP)
The Students In Civic Engagement Programme (SICEP) is a new student-driven chapter on community outreach. The launch of the programme on the 18th of July 2012 coincides with international student volunteers visiting CPUT from Tulane University, New Orleans and will craft a new pathway on international collaboration on social justice, health issues, the HIV and Aids pandemic and education within the diaspora. SICEP has been working tirelessly to craft a new pathway of active citizenship over the last few months and have recruited students to be actively involved in community development as volunteers.
Some of the SICEP projects already underway are listed below.
Believing in Change (BIC)
A student driven initiative on environmental sustainability in the community of Langa Township.
The aims of the project are to:
- Create awareness on environmental aspects and global warming
- Promote citizenship in student life and the surrounding community
- Contribute to sustainable development within our communities
- Accelerate and promote awareness on bio-diversity
- Promote a Green economy in our community
- Promote a healthy lifestyle and a balanced diet
Masiphumelele (Let us succeed)
An initiative on social, entrepreneurial and educational programmes at CPUT and surrounding communities.
Aims of the project:
- Using the skills and expertise of current students and alumni to assist struggling and under-developed schools
- Promoting development and leadership in our communities
- Encouraging social entrepreneurship