- Technology demonstration of AIS/VDE message reception using the primary payload
- Technology demonstration of a medium resolution imager payload
- Human capacity development (HCD)
- Flight heritage for F’SATI/CPUT hardware and also hardware from technology partner ESL
- Launched on 27 December 2018 02:07:00 UTC from the Vostochny Cosmodrome.
- Launch was 3 months, 29 days, 6 hours, 19 minutes ago.
- Undergoing commissioning.
The satellite makes use of the CubeSat form factor and contains a mix of in-house developed and commercial-of-the-self components. Components are sourced from Clyde Space and Innovative Solutions In Space. ZACube-2 is South Africa’s most advanced CubeSat yet.
- VHF AIS/VDE receiver
- Medium resolution CMOS imager
- Satellite name: ZACube-2
- Satellite Catalog ID: TBC
- International Designator: TBC
- Transceiver modulation and data rates: UHF AX.25 9600 bps GMSK
- Satellite transceiver manufacturer: CPUT/F’SATI
- Satellite antenna polarization: Linear
- Payload Transmitter modulation and data rates: S-band 2 Mbps QPSK
- Payload Transmitter manufacturer: CPUT/F’SATI
ZACube-2 in the media
Eye in the sky to monitor SA’s oceans – BDLive
ZACube-2 preliminary payload data
Below is an image showing the positions of ocean vessels from which ZACube-2 received AIS messages during a short switch-on test on 1 January 2019.