Center for Digital Storytelling http://www.storycenter.org/
Center for Digital Storytelling YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/centerofthestory
University of Houston Educational Uses of Digital Storytelling http://digitalstorytelling.coe.uh.edu
Silence speaks digital stories: http://www.silencespeaks.org/case-studies.html
Sonke Gender Justice network (South Africa) http://www.genderjustice.org.za/view-featured/tools/digital-stories/view-featured-stories
Darcy Alexandra’s work with undocumented migrants in Ireland: http://www.darcyalexandra.com/practice/
Pip Hardy and Tony Somners’ patientvoices in the UK: http://www.patientvoices.org.uk/
Info on copyright / fair use and digital storytelling: http://digitalstorytelling.coe.uh.edu/page.cfm?id=24&cid=24&sublinkid=45
Digital storytelling cookbook: http://www.storycenter.org/cookbook.html
Digital storytelling tips and resources: https://net.educause.edu/ir/library/pdf/eli08167b.pdf
Robin, B.R., 2005. The Educational Uses of Digital Storytelling. http://digitalliteracyintheclassroom.pbworks.com/f/Educ-Uses-DS.pdf
Long, B., 2011. Digital Storytelling and Meaning Making: Critical Reflection , Creativity and Technology in Pre-service Teacher Education. In Digital storytelling conference. pp. 1-27. http://lillehammer2011.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/bonnie-long-conference-paper.pdf
Kajder, S.B., 2004. Enter Here: Personal Narrative and Digital Storytelling. The English Journal, 93(3), pp.64-68. Available at: http://www.jstor.org/stable/pdfplus/4128811.pdf?acceptTC=true [Accessed October 10, 2010].
Barrett, H., 2006. Digital Stories in ePortfolios: Multiple Purposes and Tools. Available at: http://electronicportfolios.org/digistory/purposes.html [Accessed January 25, 2011].
Rolon-Dow, R., 2011. Race(ing) stories: digital storytelling as a tool for critical race scholarship. Race Ethnicity and Education, 14(2), pp.159-173. Available at: http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/routledg/cree/2011/00000014/00000002/art00002 [Accessed April 15, 2011].
6th International conference for Digital Storytelling (September 2015, Northhampton US) http://dst2015.org/
Digital storytelling in crisis (May 2014, Athens) http://dst.ntlab.gr/
5th International conference for Digital Storytelling (May 2013, Istanbul) www.digitalstorytelling2013.hacettepe.edu.tr
International conference on narrative 2013: http://www2.hlss.mmu.ac.uk/conferences/international-conference-on-narrative/
4th Global Conference: Storytelling (May 2013: Prague, Czech Republic) http://call-for-papers.sas.upenn.edu/node/47613
Create – Share – Listen: 4th International Conference on Digital Storytelling (2011, Lillehammer): http://lillehammer2011.wordpress.com/
International Digital Storytelling: http://www.uv.es/digitalstory/ Valencia, April 2011
Presentations on DST at CPUT
- Short intro into the process of digital storytelling, see slides here
CPUTstories YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/cputstories
Join our Facebook CPUTstories group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/2011cputstoriesteam/
Digital Storytelling at CPUT – Writings
- Gachago, D. & Sykes, P., 2017. Navigating Ethical Boundaries When Adopting Digital Storytelling in Higher Education. In G. Jamissen et al., eds. Digital Storytelling in Higher Education. Springer International, p. pp 91–106.
- Gachago, D., Clowes, L. & Condy, J. 2016. Family comes in all forms, blood or not’: disrupting dominant narratives around the patriarchal nuclear family. Gender and Education (online publicaton). http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/09540253.2016.1259464
Gachago, D. 2016. the Performativity of Digital Stories in Contexts of Systemic Inequality. South African Journal for Higher Education (SAJHE), 30(3), pp. 296–308.
- Stewart, K. & Gachago, D. 2016. Being human today: A digital storytelling pedagogy for transcontinental border crossing. British Journal of Educational Technology, 47(3), pp. 528–542. http://doi.wiley.com/10.1111/bjet.12450.
- Condy, J. 2015. Sharing stories to shape teachers. The Conversation. http://theconversation.com/being-human-today-sharing-stories-to-shape-teachers-39896
- Barnes, V,. Gachago, D. & Ivala, E. 2015. Digital Storytelling in Industrial Design. In P.C. Layne P. Lane, eds. Global Innovation of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education. Springer: 47-69. http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-319-10482-9_4
- Barnes, V. 2015. Telling timber tales in Higher Education : A reflection on my journey with digital storytelling. Journal of Pedagogic Development, 5 (1), 72-83. http://uobrep.openrepository.com/uobrep/bitstream/10547/346548/1/Telling timber tales in Higher Education A relection on my journey with digital storytelling.pdf
- Gachago, D., Condy, J., Ivala, E., & Chigona, A. 2014. “All stories bring hope because stories bring awareness ”: students ’ perceptions of digital storytelling for social justice education. South African Journal of Education, 34(4). http://www.sajournalofeducation.co.za/index.php/saje/article/view/1025/476
- Gachago, D., Ivala, E., Barnes, V., Gill, P., Felix-Minnaar, J., Morkel, J. & Vajat, N. 2014. Towards the development of digital storytelling practices for use in resource-poor environments, across disciplines and with students from diverse backgrounds. South African Journal for Higher Education (SAJHE), 28(3): 961–982.
- Gachago, D., Ivala, E. & Chigona, A., 2013. Disruptive use of emerging technologies in teaching and learning – lecturers’ experiences at a University of Technology in South Africa. progressio, 35(3): 37-60.
- Condy, J., Chigona, A., Gachago, D., & Ivala, E., 2012. Preservice students’ perceptions and experiences of digital storytelling in diverse classrooms. Turkish Online Journal of Educational Technology (TOJET), 11(3): 278–285. http://tojet.net/articles/v11i3/11326.pdf
- Gachago, D. et al. 2014. Using Digital Counterstories as Multimodal Pedagogy among South African Pre-service Student Educators to produce Stories of Resistance. Electronic Journal of e-Learning (eJeL), 12(1): 29–42. Available at: http://www.ejel.org/volume12/issue1/p29
- Gachago, D. , Ivala, E., Condy, J. & Chigona, A., 2013. Journeys across Difference: Pre- Service Teacher Education Students’ Perceptions of a Pedagogy of Discomfort in a Digital Storytelling Project in South Africa. Critical Studies in Teaching and Learning, 1(1): 22–52. Available at: http://cristal.epubs.ac.za/index.php/cristal/article/view/4/6
- Ivala, E., Gachago, D., Condy, J., & Ivala, E., 2014. Digital Storytelling and Reflection in Higher Education: A Case of Pre-service Student Teachers and Their Lecturers at a University of Technology. Journal of Education and Training Studies. Vol. 2, No. 1: .217-227. Available at: http://www.redfame.com/journal/index.php/jets/article/viewFile/286/24
- Ivala, E., Gachago, D., Condy, J., & Chigona, A., 2013. Enhancing Student Engagement with Their Studies : A Digital Storytelling Approach. Creative Education, 4(10): 82–89. Available at: http://www.scirp.org/journal/PaperDownload.aspx?paperID=38412
For more articles please contact me email@example.com
Summary of the 7 steps of digital storytelling http://newhive.com/cookbook/7-steps
Currently we are using 2 approaches to digital storytelling at CPUT: either recording the narration via Audacity and then creating the digital movie in MovieMaker (slightly more complicated but with better results) or using Photostory for Windows, which allows you to record within the software programme.
Approach 1: MovieMaker and Audacity
- Windows MovieMaker to create and edit digital movies: XP or Live depending on Windows software on your laptop
- For a YouTube video tutorial click here
- Audacity and Lame encoder to record and edit audio
Approach 2: Photostory
- for a YouTube tutorial click here
Approach 3: mobile apps
- Com-Phone for Android phones, to download the app click here
- Ipad apps for digital storytelling: http://mattbgomez.com/folder-full-of-storytelling-apps/
Approach 4: Web-based digital storytelling
- WeVideo: full video editing suite, allows app 4 mins Video per month for free
Other useful software
- Artweaver for image editing
- Real player to convert audio files
Royalty free images and sound
Article on 8 resources to find and edit digital images without being sued: http://www.teachthought.com/technology/8-resources-to-find-and-edit-digital-images-without-being-sued/
Another article listing best free image databases: http://thenextweb.com/dd/2014/05/15/53-free-high-quality-image-resources/
search.creativecommons.org is a search portal that allows you to search for media shared under the creative commons licence, will give you direct links to Google images, flickr, sound databases etc…
www.flickr.com (under advanced search you can tick Creative Commons only)
http://www.pics4learning.com/ Pics4Learning is a safe, free image library
for education. Teachers and students can use the copyright-friendly photos
and images for classrooms, multimedia projects, web sites, videos,
portfolios, or any other project in an educational setting.
www.opsound.org (for royalty free sound tracks)
Some examples of stories developed at CPUT
2010 Education student project
2011 Education student projects
2011 Train the trainer workshop