CPUT Blogs is administered by the Web Office. The service is available to all staff members and departments who wish to blog about their academic and research initiatives.
What our bloggers have recently said...
- Through this Call, South African researchers have the opportunity
to assemble compelling proposals and teams in order to participate
in the remarkable LSST project.
The attached document contains relevant details of the Call, including
the requirements for a completed proposal application form, due by
1 March 2018.
Please share this Call widely with any colleagues that
might be interested.
Any questions that are ...more
Facilitator: Sonwabo Jongile, Centre for Innovative Educational Technology (CIET)
Date and venue
12th of October 2017, 13.30-15.30, eLearning Centre, Cape Town campus
Description of workshop
During this workshop we will focus on the Peer Assessment tool in Blackboard. According to the Oxford dictionary, peer assessment refers to the “evaluation of scientific, academic, or professional work by others in the ...more
- Moses Basitere, ECP lecturer in Chemical Engineering, recently attended the National ECP colloquium jointly organised by DUT and MUT in Durban on 20-21 September 2017. In this post he shares some personal highlights of the event.
DUT and MUT partnered in the spirit of collaboration to bring together public universities in South Africa to engage on ...more
- The Unit for Applied Law at CPUT will be offering the new Bachelor of Paralegal Studies degree from 2018.
This HEQC-accredited degree is the first of its kind in South Africa and is designed to consolidate the current fragmented approach to paralegal education in the country.This initiative is in a bid to professionalise the paralegal sector ...more
- RITAL 2017 was hosted by the Student Learning Unit and the First Year Experience. The theme of the conference: Transitioning In and Transitioning Out: The Context of Transforming HE landscape
Keynote Speaker: Prof Aslam Fataar
Distinguished Professor, Department of Education Policy Studies, Stellenbosch University
Vice-Dean: Research, Faculty of Education
Prof Aslam Fataar of Stellenbosch University’s Faculty of Education has ...more
- Facilitators: Daniela Gachago, Centre for Innovative Educational Technology (CIET)
Date and venue
28th of September 2017, 13.30-15.30, lab 303, IT centre, Bellville
Description of workshop:
Connecting and engaging with fellow academics online using social media has become an important part of an academic’s research practice. Academic reputations today can be considerably enhanced by developing an online profile or ‘academic ...more
- Facilitator: Sakkie Smit, Centre for Innovative Educational Technology
Date and time: 21st of September 2017, 13.30-15.30
Location: Centre for eLearning, training venue, Cape Town campus or Blackboard Collaborate (online)
Adaptive learning technologies, according to EDUCAUSE, “dynamically adjust to the level or type of course content based on an individual’s abilities or skill attainment, in ways that accelerate a ...more
- On 31 August 2017, the ECP Unit at Fundani hosted colleagues from the Access Programmes of the Academic Development Centre at the University of Johannesburg. A special dialogue session was facilitated to enable colleagues to firstly, describe and explain how extended and foundational programmes are operationalised at both institutions and then, engage in more collaborative ...more
- In a bid to professionalize the paralegal sector and contribute to the transformation of the legal profession, as well as higher education curricula, the Unit for Applied Law at CPUT will be offering the new Bachelor of Paralegal Studies degree from 2018.
This HEQC-accredited degree, being the first of its kind in the country, is designed ...more
- Fifty-five CPUT students have been granted bursaries to finance their studies for 2017 by the Mining Qualifications Authority (MQA).
The move comes as welcome relief for the recipients and is a credit to the university’s Advancement Department, which collected the bursary application forms from the students during the difficult time of last year’s #FeesMustFall protests.
The MQA ...more
- A CPUT athlete has just returned from an international meeting in Belgium where he won the 5 000m race and came third in the 3 000m steeplechase.
Siboniso Soldaka, a third-year student in the Department of Business and Information Administration, ran some of his personal best times and improved on his performances from the previous year.
He was ...more
- The idea to make bags from PPC cement bags came to her while she was driving behind a cement truck nine years ago.
That idea blossomed into a business, which Wendren Setzer, a CPUT graduate and part-time lecturer, runs from an unassuming street in Muizenberg. It is from here that the bags, device sleeves and organisers ...more
- Technicians and research leaders in the department of Mechanical Engineering have become the first in CPUT to successfully convert a milling machine into a friction stir welding machine.
Named Nkunzimalanga, (meaning surprise) the friction stir welding machine is used to join two similar or dissimilar metal plates without introducing a spark, as is the norm with ...more
- CPUT’s Department of Marine Studies (DMS) had its inaugural service-learning project at Weston High School in Vredenburg recently.
Thirty three marine engineering students overseen by three academics participated in this project, where each student was allocated three grade 10 learners, whom they helped with trigonometry.
Masungulo Maluleke described the experience as an absolute privilege, “Giving back to ...more
- A website that serves as a one-stop shop for all things related to a CPUT design research project at was the logical next step in efforts to promote the university’s direction in the research niche of design for sustainability.
The website is the brainchild of the project coordinators, Dr Alettia Chisin and Prof Håkan Edeholdt, and ...more
- Everything is set for the installation of CPUT’s new Chancellor Thandi Modise on 14 September.
Modise, chairperson of the National Council of Provinces (NCOP), is the university’s second Chancellor. She follows in the footsteps of former Finance Minister Trevor Manuel, who served the university for two consecutive four-year terms. His last term ended last year.
Several institutional ...more
- CPUT alumna Abigail Mbalo-Mokoena says growing up in four-roomed house in Gugulethu is the inspiration behind her restaurant, 4Roomed eKasi Culture.
Mbalo-Mokoena was delivering a guest lecture to the Department of Entrepreneurship staff and students on the Cape Town Campus recently.
After 17 years of teaching Dental Technology at CPUT, Mbalo resigned from her post last year ...more
- The Department of Emergency Medical Services (EMS) has recently launched a campaign to create awareness and provide direction in understanding privilege and social inequality.
The Steps for Hope Campaign is the department’s Service-Learning project with the purpose to critically look at what defines privilege and the way society views it.
The campaign will benefit the TB/HIV Care ...more
- A new study reveals that invasion by alien plants of areas between land and a river or stream negatively affects bird groupings and their important services such as seed dispersal and pollination.
Conducted jointly by Conservation and Marine Sciences lecturer, Dr Sjirk Geerts, and MTech student, Joy Mangachena, the new study explored the effects of river ...more
- Three Faculty of Informatics and Design students will be jetting off to Hasselt University in Belgium shortly for a once in a lifetime student exchange programme, funded by the Flemish Priority Country Programme (PCP).
Xenophen Masipa, Tiana Rall and Lorraine Cronje were selected after an intensive double application programme that saw students go through two shortlisting ...more
On July 20 th 2017, F’SATI proudly graduated 6 new MSc students from the CPUT Satellite Programme.
The inaugurated graduates were:
Ms Cassandra Daviane Nsumbu
Lwabanji Tony Lumbwe
Ms Fenni Magano Tweetheni Shidhika
Mr Gutembert Nganpet Nzeugaing
Mr Nganyang Paul Bayendang
Mr Etnard Wynand Louw
Mr Motlokwe Maleka (in absentia)
The assembly was also graced by ...more
- On Wednesday 30 August the ECP Unit at CPUT hosted the annual Regional ECP Symposium. The event was attended by over 80 delegates and more than 20 papers were presented. Colleagues from 10 institutions nationally converged at the Saretec Building on the Bellville Campus to discuss and debate all matters ECP.
Delegates were welcomed to CPUT ...more
- Please take note of the 2018 Call for Doctoral Scholarships for Research using a Systems Analysis Methodology.
Please send an email to Universities UK International (UUKi) at email@example.com with the subject title“Systems Analysis UK-South Africa call- UK Co-supervisor” should you require linking with a UK partner institution and make sure to include the following information in the covering email:
- August signaled the conclusion of the NBT intervention activities for 2017 which were facilitated by the ECP Unit. Since March we hosted various activities aimed at orientating ECP leaders and lecturers to these National Benchmark Tests and then running the tests with a selection of the 2017 ECP cohort at CPUT.
Mechanical Engineering Students write ...more
- A delegation of four Technology Stations, headed by ATS, visited Namibian institutions and industries based on the signing of an accord between the National Commission on Research, Science & Technology (NCRST Namibia) and the Technology Innovation Agency (TIA) of South Africa, including the decision of TIA to increase its African footprint toward furthering collaboration and exchange in the ...more
- At the 5th Tokyo International Conference on African Development (TICAD V) held in Yokohama in 2013, the Japanese Government stated its policy on strengthening support for the on-going dynamic growth of Africa with stronger public-private partnerships.
Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo ABE announced the ABE Initiative (African Business Education Initiative for Youth), a strategic five-year plan providing 1,000 youths ...more
- Call for Applications now Open
The project on Strengthening of Technology Research and Innovation (R&I) between Europe and South Africa (ESASTAP 2020) and its predecessors (i.e. FP6 and FP7 INCO projects SAccess, ESASTAP, ESASTAP-2 and ESASTAP Plus) have been instrumental in enhancing the success of the SA-European Union (EU) Research and Innovation cooperation in different thematic ...more
- The 2017 edition of USSA Cricket will be bought forward to October, this is to combat the fears of Feesmustfall Protest that have played a role in the last two editions not taking place.
2017 edition will be hosted by the University of Pretoria (Tuks) from 2 till 6 October of this year. This is exciting ...more
- Cuest speaker Chriselda Grootboom
CPUT Cricket players
CPUT Cricket players were on hand to serve beverages to some of the young women at one of the Residences at the Bellville Campus. The House Committee of Sacco Residence was hosting an event for the ladies who resided at the resident.
CPUT Cricket Executive Committee, saw this as ...more
The Technology Station: Clothing and Textiles hosted a group of 26 Young Entrepreneurs from Atlantis (± 75 KM from Cape Town on the West Coast) on a screen printing training programme. The training hopefully helps these entrepreneurs to add value to their fabrics.
The Technology Station: Clothing and Textiles would like to thank Patrick and Bradley ...more