Ms. Karin Van Wyk, Email: VANWYKK@cput.ac.za, Telephone: 021 959 6075
This course is suitable for fabric technologists, garment technologists, buyers, merchandisers, quality controllers / managers, sample hands and small business owners.
The course covers the basics of fibres, yarns and fabric construction. The main aim is on end-use suitability and performance of fabrics to finishing e.g. dyeing, printing, laundering, etc.
• At the end of this short course the delegate will be able to:
• Define textile terms Classify fibre types
• Identify fibre properties associated with natural and synthetic fibres
• Identify various yarn types and describe yarn manufacturing processes
• Identify and describe woven, non-woven and knitted structures
• Understand dyeing, printing and finishing processes and how it relates end-use application
• Identify possible problem areas and find solutions. Delegates are invited to bring fabric swatches or garments to class for discussion and troubleshooting.
• Fibres and Yarn properties and identification for suitable application
• Understanding of yarn spinning systems, and their application
• An overview of fabric construction and properties, and correct application
• Dyestuff terminology, categories, usage, properties, costs and application.
• Printing Methods
• Fabric reaction and common quality problems
• Correct wash-care label selection.
• Testing equipment and testing techniques relevant to testing requirements.
• Laboratory wet and dry tests and assessment of results
• Common garment and fabric faults analysed
A certificate will be issued to delegates upon successful completion of the course
I met beautiful people, learn about other cultures. Learning English at CPUT was such a great experience that I will never ever forget. Those who want to learn English in Cape while having fun, CPUT is here for you. I am sure you will not regret it at all.
I chose the short course at CPUT, because I am a mom of a two year old. Doing a correspondance course just wouldn’t work for me. CPUT offers evening classes, which enabled me to attend classes for 6 months. I absolutely enjoyed attending the classes, I also learnt a lot and made friends within the similar fields and with similar interest. Thank you CPUT and the SCM team.
Catherine Andreka, Barloworld Logistics FM&S in Cape Town