A National Senior Certificate or its equivalent, preferably including mathematics, accounting and statistics. People with previous logistics and/or management experience or education however may, subject to certain criteria (assessed for recognition of previous learning), also qualify to attend the course.
The students who should attend this course are employees who are working in a supply chain environment (operations, warehousing, transportation, procurement and so on), or those who want a deeper understanding of the subject. The programme will also assist employees who wish to aspire to become a manager in a SCM environment and current managers who wish to improve their supply chain management skills. Professionals working in an auditing or business consultancy environment may also benefit from the course.It must be noted that SCM is considered to be a scarce skill by the Department of Labour in South Africa and a critical skills shortage in many countries throughout the world
The course is divided into two modules, namely:
Module A: Supply Chain Management: A Logistics Perspective
In this section, the subject of logistics in introduced and includes the following:
• Introduction to business logistics;
• Competitive advantage created by logistics;
• Logistics and supply chain strategy;
• Tactical logistics management and supply chain integration;
• Financial aspects of logistics and supply chain management;
• Forecasting and demand management;
• Network integration;
• Introduction to production and operations management;
• Procurement management;
• Inventory management;
• Facility location and design;
• Packaging and containers;
• Equipment used at facilities;
• Warehouse operations;
• The transport system and management;
• Transport costing and structure;
• Managing international supply chain (import and export management);
• Reverse logistics and investment recovery; and
• Controlling logistics performance.
Module B:Supply Chain Management: A General Management Integrative Approach
In Section Two the following subject matter is covered:
• The role of business in society;
• Needs and need satisfaction (the basic economic question);
• The main economic systems;
• Need-satisfying institutions in a market economy;
• The small business;
• The entrepreneurial process
• The establishment of a business;
• Legal form of ownership;
• Developing a business plan for a business;
• The various business environments;
• Corporate social responsibility;
• Corporate governance;
• Stakeholder engagement;
• Sustainable development;
• Operations management;
• HR management
• Marketing management;
• Financial management;
• Business strategy;
• Introduction to project management: and
• Using SCM to create a competitive advantage.
Note that Procurement management is covered under Module A.
This course consist of two modules that takes place over period of 15 weeks at our Bellville and District Six campus.. Module 1 starts on the 25 July 2018 and Module 2 starts on the 26 July 2018.
Graduate Centre for Management
Recommend or share this course on:
Important dates and times
Remember to apply and register on time.
Application Deadline: 2018-07-25
Course offered at:Commerce Building, Cape Town Campus: Module 1
Course lasts for: 15 weeks
Note about registration: Please note that this date is flexible and subject to change.
Class times are: 17:15 - 20:15
Note about class dates: Module and Module two will role out simultaneously. Module 1 will be presented on Wednesday evening and Module 2 will be presented Thursday evenings.
I met beautiful people, learn about other cultures. Learning English at CPUT was such a great experience that I will never ever forget. Those who want to learn English in Cape while having fun, CPUT is here for you. I am sure you will not regret it at all.
I chose the short course at CPUT, because I am a mom of a two year old. Doing a correspondance course just wouldn’t work for me. CPUT offers evening classes, which enabled me to attend classes for 6 months. I absolutely enjoyed attending the classes, I also learnt a lot and made friends within the similar fields and with similar interest. Thank you CPUT and the SCM team.
Catherine Andreka, Barloworld Logistics FM&S in Cape Town